Sunday, November 7, 2010

An Intro

Dear Journal:
             I am somewhat of a bitter man as of now. My voyages have been considered failures. Although I am no Christopher Columbus, I feel as if I have made a lasting contribution to Europe. However, no countries seem to understand the worth of what I have discovered because there is no gold or any settlements to be built on the land. But before I touch on that subject, I shall introduce myself. I am Jacques Cartier, of French origin. My whole life has been a life of one living by the sea. I have been much exposed to subjects regarding seafaring, one of them being navigation, a field I have much expertise in. As a child, Ive lived next to the water, having been born in the French seaport town of Saint-Malo. I hold much sympathy and affection for my hometown, having been regarded as an influential figure there. What I appreciate most is that, even though most of Europe has no care for my discovery, my name has been associated with that of the Discover of Canada in my hometown of Saint-Malo. Saint-Malo is located in the province of Brittany, near the English Channel. It is well-known for producing hardy and able seamen, myself being one of them. Concerning my family, I was born in the year 1491 to Jean Cartier and Guillemette Baudoin. I am the second child of five. Myself, I married Marie Katherine des Granches in 1519. Although she was of a higher status than me, as her father is the Chevalier Honore des Granches, high constable of Saint-Malo, my renown in the town allowed me to marry her. Unfortunately, our marriage has bore no children. 
             Concerning the topic of my field, I have studied navigation under the Piensee of Dieppe and have embarked on voyages across the Atlantic and even to Brazil. I am the pilot of the king of France and also the protégé of the high admiral of France, a position of great rank and honor. The journey I am most well known for is my voyage to the New World, where I discovered the lands we call Canada. The voyage became available to me when I was approached by King Francis I in 1534 to discover a western passage to Asia. However, instead I reached Newfoundland and into the Gulf of St. Lawrence. I then claimed the Gaspé Peninsula for France. I returned in two other separate trips, making friends with the native Indians, who are a generous people. When I returned from my first venture into Canada, I was sure that I reached an Asian coast. Although I was not successful in that goal, I believe I have made quite a significant impact with my discovery of Canda. Even though no gold or treasure was discovered, it is now evident that the New World contains fertile lands and mineral wealth. Even though I am somewhat regretful and bitter, I am content to spend the rest of my life in Saint-Malo, with my own realization of the importance of my accomplishments. I believe that my role as the Discover of Canada will inspire others to embark on a quest that will allow the true worth of Canada to become evident. 

1 comment:

  1. I thank you for your sympathy, however you have to acknowledge the fact the people of the Aztec empire facilitated the goals of explorers, espically Cortes in his quest for the economic expansion of his country. We provied Cortes with abundant of gold and resources that were valuable to him.

    ReplyDelete